Innocent Spouse

When you file a joint tax return, either you or your spouse is responsible for the entire tax liability. You do not want to sign a joint tax return if you think there is something incorrect with it. If you file an incorrect joint return, you might end up paying more taxes in the future. One solution is to file separately.

However, if you find yourself in trouble with the IRS due to your spouse or ex-spouse’s actions, you may qualify as an Innocent Spouse and you may qualify for tax relief. There are three kinds of tax relief for married people who filed jointly: Innocent spouse relief, separation of liability and equitable relief.